Pakistan also known as the ‘Islamic Republic of Pakistan’ became independent from Great Britain on 14 August 1947. It was created to meet the demands of Indian Muslims for their own homeland; Pakistan was originally made up of two parts. The Muslim-majority state of Pakistan was born out of the partition of the Indian sub-continent in 1947.
Pakistan is the 6th most populated country with 193 million people living in it as well as that 96% of the population are Muslims and the rest of the 4% are mixed, including Hindus and Christians.
Pakistan is among the poorest nations in the world. However, it is also oxymoronically rich in natural resources: “the country has the second largest salt mine in the world, fifth largest gold mine, seventh largest copper mine, fifth largest coal reserves, seventh largest wheat and rice production capacity…” and the list goes on. But does it really matter when almost 40 percent of the people live in extreme poverty? The Human Development Index ranks Pakistan 147th out of 188 countries for 2016.
There are few reasons why Pakistan is still lacking and living in poverty;
Corruption and Elitism in the Government
Lack of Democratic Ideals
Both Religious and Secular Conflict